Saturday, August 6, 2011

The Best Day EVER!

Yesterday, Saturday here in Uganda, was the best day EVER! I had SO much fun!!

Justine took me to downtown Kampala where we walked the overcrowded streets for a couple of hours. We were on the hunt for a place I could print some photos off my fancy, shmancy phone. We randomly found a Kodak store and we got the prints. Then, we searched the streets for a place I could buy a house warming gift for my friend Mary. Mary is the one I told you about a couple of weeks ago. She moved yesterday and I thought it would be fun to extend some southern hospitality her way! I got her a nice knife, a set of silverware, a serving spoon, and a couple of pans. We will get back to this later though. :)

So Justine and I laughed the whole day. It was so nice to have a friend to travel with...I felt so special! On a side note, there were several children on the streets, left to beg. This was hard as I wasn't sure how the Lord wanted me to help them. I gave each child a stick of gum as I passed and prayed later for God to take care of them. I hope this doesn't sound cold. It's not that I didn't care about them, but the little money I could offer couldn't save these kids from their lifestyle. I felt a great conviction for the ministry Pastor Dongo has here in Uganda. God is using Him to save children, who otherwise would be left to similar circumstances, and placing them in a loving environment where they will be educated and given a future. I have to confess that my during my time here, in the secret places of my heart, I have been praying for God to open my eyes to the impact Buyumba Orphan Outreach is making on the community. I didn't doubt there was a need, I just didn't understand to what extent these children's lives were truly being impacted. Yesterday, on the streets of Kampala, God opened my eyes. I am very thankful for God's work through Pastor Dongo. If you are a sponsor, for children at God Cares, or any other organization, I would like you to know that you are TRULY impacting these kids' lives. God is using you in mighty ways for His kingdom!!

Okay, so the end to my day. When we returned, after I fell out of our taxi into a ditch (I'm fine, but it was hilarious and totally embarrassing), I met with my friend Mary. Mary had been moving all day, and as I mentioned earlier, I had a housewarming gift I was super excited to deliver. I went to her new house...we prayed over the room and then we had a dance party! It was SOOO fun! I used my phone as a radio, turned on the Black Eyed Peas ("Boom, Boom, Pow" of course), and we DANCED. We thanked God, we laughed, we celebrated, and it was such a blessing!

So that was the a best day ever...in Uganda at least!!

I love yall!
Jenna

No comments:

Post a Comment